who, what, where, when.
I design and build physical and digital artifacts used by thousands of people on a daily basis. I also teach and do research in the digital experience design field, speak at design & tech events and travel whenever possible.
I'm a Portuguese multidisciplinary designer born in 1984 in Porto and currently living and working in Lisbon. I’m Head of Design at the Instituto Superior Técnico of the University of Lisbon, Lecturer at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Lisbon, and founder, CEO, CDO & everything in between at my own studio, Playout. Communication design, digital experience design and human computer interaction are my main fields of work.
the best source of knowledge.
In the last 10 years I had the pleasure to work in a wide range of projects for dozens of clients in a wide spectrum of areas, that encompassed strategy, brand, editorial and digital product design.
The last 4 years of my life were primarily spent in a leadership position: I’ve been managing a multidisciplinary team of more than ten designers, developers, videographers and photographers at Instituto Superior Técnico, a school of architecture, engineering, science and technology from the University of Lisbon. Strategy, creative and art direction, team and project management are my daily focus there.
In 2015 I co-founded a new course in Digital Experience Design at the Faculty of Fine Arts of the University of Lisbon, where I also teach. I'm proud to be shaping the future of education in this field and amazed by the outstanding response from the design and tech community so far.
I have also been managing my own studio, Playout, where we mainly develop self-initiated experimental projects.
- Since 2015: DXD Course Co-founder & Lecturer — Faculdade de Belas-Artes, Universidade de Lisboa
- Since 2013: Head of Design — Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
- Since 2006: Founder, CEO, CDO & Everything in Between — Playout
- 2010 – 2012: Designer — Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade de Lisboa
- 2008 – 2009: Designer — Seara.com
- 2007 – 2008: Designer — Público
Mentor or Jury Positions
- Since 2015: Future Ideas — Jury (Future of Design)
- Since 2014: Designlab — Mentor
- Since 2015: Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) — Member
- Since 2015: Interaction Design Foundation (IDF) — Member
- Since 2011: Interaction Design Association (IxDA) — Member
study, research and teach.
Let's breadcrumb this: Art › Graphic Design & Advertising › Communication Design & New Media. What's next?
I have a fairly boring and predictable path as a student: I studied Arts in high school, then took an undergraduate course on Graphic Design & Advertising — where I met some of my best friends until today.
I started my career at Porto and later moved to Lisbon, where I took a graduate course on Communication Design & New Media, where I developed a study focused in the relationship between visual design and perceived credibility on the web.
Master of Fine Arts (MFA),
Communication Design and New Media — Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Bachelor of Arts (BA),
Graphic Design and Advertising — School of Management and Industrial Studies, Polytechnic Institute of Porto, Portugal
Talks and events:
giving back to the community.
I had the honor to speak in front of hundreds of designers, tech pros & entrepreneurs, in major international events & institutions.
Sapo Codebits, Experimenta Design, University of Lisbon & University of Aveiro were some of them, to name a few. There I had the opportunity to lecture on topics that are dear to me, such as Creative & Art Direction, Digital Product Design, Digital Experience Design, User Experience Design, User Interface Design, Front-end Development (HTML5 & CSS3), Web Typography, Visual Design or Online Credibility.
The following list is a small selection of those lectures and talks. If you have a design or tech event, and you would like to have me on board, drop me a line.
- May 14-15: WordCamp Porto 2016. ISEP, Porto, Portugal
- March 6: ENEMM 2016: 1st National Meeting of Multimedia Students. University of Aveiro, Portugal
- April 17: Master Thesis Presentation . Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- April 11: Sapo Codebits VII . Lisbon, Portugal
- November 4–5: HackerSchool: User Interface Design Workshop . Instituto Superior Técnico, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- June 30: OpenDay’11: Feedback — it is back or white. Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- October 19: EXD’11 Open Day Abroad . Experimenta Design, Lisbon, Portugal
I have a really busy schedule, but love new challenges — they're usually an opportunity to meet new people and grow in some way. Have something in mind? Drop me a line.
Speaking at design and tech events, judging at design competitions and mentoring and advising the board on public and private institutions of all sizes are challenges that always motivate me.